Brum Squared invite you to get involved with TEDxBrum² (aka TEDxBrum Squared), a special project as part of our #Perspectives event. Over the next few weeks we encourage you to head out with your smartphones and take photos of our city. All the images will be linked through the Brum Squared instagram channel to build up a big beautiful visual map of the city, and will also feature at Birmingham Hippodrome on the day.
How Does It Work?
Step out into your local area, or perhaps somewhere new to you* in Birmingham. Using #perspectives as a starting point, randomly snap away to capture what you can see, or an image that you feel represents where you live, how you feel, or something about the city through your eyes. We don’t want to give you too many guidelines, so be as creative as you like, utilising your own ideas, viewpoints and modes of storytelling.
As soon as you’re happy with the pictures, upload them to TEDxBrum² using the handy guidelines below.
*Always stay safe when exploring somewhere you haven't been before. Maybe recruit a TEDxBrum² buddy!
How To Submit
1. Make sure your phone's location settings are turned on.
2. Shoot an image of something that interests you or catches your eye in the city.
3. Upload your image(s) to Instagram and tag @brumsquared. NB: If you have a private IG account then please send @brumsquared a direct message, as we will not be able to see it using just the tag.
4. Add a caption to tell us more!
5. Sit back and enjoy being part of this creative city-wide project. Scroll through all submissions here.
- We ask that you submit no more than 5 images. Please select your favourite findings for us to share.
- As much as we love seeing all your happy faces, we will not be accepting any selfies. This is about your perspective on the city, so think instead about portraits of others and the environment around you.
- Brum Squared will have the overall decision on omitting any images that may be deemed offensive. We want to keep this a safe, fun and friendly platform to share the city, one square at a time.
About Brum Squared - The Story So Far
Your city, your story. Tell it.
Brum Squared started as a collaboration between local professional photographers who shared a passion for documenting the city of Birmingham. Specialising in various areas of photography, their aim was to explore and capture our diverse city from a range of viewpoints using different styles of photography.
As part of City Camp Brum, Brum Squared held an informal gathering on Wednesday 15th June 2016 for anyone interested in storytelling with images. 'Often photography and image making is dominated by trained photographers and people feel this is something that they cannot access. Anyone can be part of Brum Squared. It’s an accessible and guided platform for people to tell stories.' This is where their first series of images were collected, with attendees shooting photographs within a Digbeth grid-square from the A-Z.
Brum Squared are now working as a democratic photography platform created for you, and by you. Inspired by the A-Z map they aim to document Birmingham, one square at a time. Since initial conversations and photowalk exploration in Digbeth, they have hosted open meet ups as part of NAF CAF in Northfield, and are excited to be teaming up with TEDxBrum this Autumn to share photographic #perspectives on the city.
Look out for some Brum Squared events in the run up to TEDxBrum on their facebook page.
You can also follow along and connect with @BrumSquared on twitter and instagram to stay up to date.